Big A’s Goals For The New Year
So, I’m always pretty averse to writing down goals for the new year because, well, they’ll inevitably end up being a record of what I didn’t do that year. But. Sometimes they are useful as a thought organization exercise, so here goes. Here are the crafty, DIY-type things I’d like to accomplish this year, in 2012:
1. Complete a second farm/ranch apprenticeship. I’m in the process of contacting four different farms, two of which I’ve heard from in some form or another at this point. Two are up in northern Washington State, two are in eastern Oregon. Two are goat dairies, two are (primarily) beef cattle ranches. At any and all of them I would learn many new skills and build upon what I learned last summer at Pokrov.
2. Finish the afghan. This will take approximately seven hours a week for the foreseeable future. That’s right; I should work on it every single day. (Hah!) Well, I have made progress in the last month, so…
3. Keep baking bread and experimenting with different kinds. I feel good about my challah-making abilities. Now, on to cinnamon rolls. Yes, they totally count. Would you turn down experimental cinnamon rolls? I didn’t think so.
4. Venture in to the realm of water-bath canning for the first time. Fruit? Jams? Not sure what all will be canned. Broth? Stock? Pretty much anything I can get my hands on, I suspect. Oh, no, I have just been informed you can’t water-bath-can broth or stock. See, I have much to learn.
5. Write more. Write what? you ask. Not sure. At the very least more blogging, but perhaps a foray back into fiction for the first time in… uh… 7? 8? years.
I feel pretty good about getting at least a couple of these goals done this year. So that’s something. What are your crafty goals for this year, Dear Readers? That pesky scarf that’s languishing incomplete in your knitting basket? You know who you are… You can do it!